[LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Fri Jan 18 19:43:48 UTC 2008

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 16:02 +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:
>> indeed, but do you have an alternative? It's sort-of a chicken-and-egg
>> issue. Back when jack was conceived, there were no jack clients either.
>> So you didn't have anything to 'talk to' either (important exception: a
>> soundcard).
>
> i don't know that it matters, but this is not strictly how it happened.
> JACK was developed out of Ardour's initial AudioEngine object. As a
> result, when the first version of JACK was available, Ardour could
> already use it. how much of an incentive or disincentive this was to
> JACK's adoption is probably not relevant.

Let me rephrase my remark to make it more correct: jack itself was
probably conceived with only one client and a soundcard to talk to, and
hence could also be denoted as a 'fantastic engineering solution that
doesn't talk to anything', at least not the way it does now.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes things start out with a
limited use scenario, but evolve into something generally adopted. And
sometimes this evolution doesn't take place...

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't that LAD-active back then.
Incredible how old jack has become... and still no 1.0 :)...

Greets,

Pieter