[LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Sat Jan 19 05:05:07 UTC 2008

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Is there anything inherently wrong with OSC as a _transport_ protocol?
> Anything that makes it unsuitable for that purpose within the framework
> of jack? (I know there have been threads about this before)

I second that. Why invent yet another protocol when there's already a
kind of standard available? But, besides the lack of out-of-the-box
semantics, there's another potential issue with OSC, namely that OSC
packets can get arbitrarily large. That might be a problem with Jack. I
don't know enough about Jack's internals to assess the impacts of this,
but I imagine that a realtime-capable gc would be needed to deal with this.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag