[LAD] alsa and OSS (again?)

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon Jan 21 09:16:40 UTC 2008

> True, but (1) as you mentioned, the barrier to entry is high, and (2)
> even if it is accepted, who is going to maintain it?

Evangelist/Package maintainers.  I guess I'd give this a go if I
weren't so busy actually writing a MidiShare application .. but once
that stabilizes out a bit, I'll have to confront the issue, or else
nobody will want to run it.

> Researchers are
> usually busy with other things, and are not delighted by the
> prospect to
> go with each and every new kernel release just to update a single
> driver. ;-)

A little bit of work needs to be done to bring the MidiShare Makefile
into the 21st Century, I think.  If it were a bit more current with
the modern techniques for kernel module builds, and if there was a
bit of a separation between kernel module, user lib, user
applications, and distribution admin tools in the build scheme, it'd
make it easier to move MidiShare forward into a more mainstream user
space.

> Maybe it's possible to unbundle the MidiShare Linux driver from the
> main
> sources. That alone would make it much easier to provide frequent
> updates or patches for different kernel versions, and would provide a
> path to get the driver into the kernel at some point. From my
> experience, the rest of the MidiShare sources should compile on any
> modern Linux distro without much ado. >

That has been my experience as well.  I've put MidiShare in a rolled-
from-source linux system, in Ubuntu, in Gentoo, in Debian, and
heck .. even RedHat (ack,spit).

> (Well, the old gtk apps included
> with Midishare can be a headache since they require the gtk1 compat
> libs, but this could be made a configure-time option.)

These should be removed and placed in their own source package, imho.

> It would certainly be nice if PlanetCCRMA included Midishare again. :)
> I'm currently getting a new laptop on which I can finally run
> PlanetCCRMA alongside with SUSE again, so I'll probably look into that
> when I have the time. It shouldn't be too difficult to adapt my
> patches
> for FC8.

I for one look forward to future progress in this regard .. MidiShare
is one lovely API/realtime operating system.  ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan