[LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon Jan 21 09:24:42 UTC 2008

> - Flexible and easy controller mapping, to make it easy to
> interface to
> different between different hardware and software.
> - Feature discovery. Something like what controller types does this
> device/software understand, what are the default values and ranges of
> controllers, etc.

All it takes to solve these two issues is an appropriate use of SYSEX
- request and dump - and some open documentation on the contents of
the headers.  I've implemented XML-over-SYSEX to solve this issue in
one fell swoop, and as ugly as that sounds, it sure worked fine for
the prototypes for which the code was written .. of course that was
all for naught in favour of hacky, ugly, proprietary solutions, (such
as "Total Integration"), but hey .. it can be done, realistically.
;
--
Jay Vaughan