[LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Mon Jan 21 17:27:20 UTC 2008

Jay Vaughan wrote:
> I don't think its fair to say that MIDI is encumbered by cruft.

It is. Using NRPNs or sysex to send >7bit controller values, microtones
and whatnot is possible, but for the former the events are not atomic
and for the latter they are not really realtime.

MIDI is good for what it does, and it is still useful. I didn't
criticize MIDI for what it is, but pointed out why it's so hard to
extend beyond what it was originally conceived to be. This makes it
worthwhile to think about alternatives like OSC in Jack (yes, as an
alternative to MIDI, not as a replacement). I think nobody is going to
argue that MIDI support in Jack is useful.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag