[LAD] alsa and OSS (again?)

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Wed Jan 23 08:59:04 UTC 2008

> My point of view as user and amateur programmer is not so good,
> with all the
> respect to everybody, the linux MIDI/Audio world seems an API
> contest, I
> don't have knowledge to judge APIs, probably all are so good, but
> in the non
> expert user side all of this generate more confusion.

I agree with you - there is an API siege mentality - but you know
what?  Its the people who put the effort into making a working distro
out of the results, and pushing that into a really working
environment, who will make the difference in this regard.  It doesn't
matter if MidiShare or ALSA or Jack or Pulseaudio all get serious
developer attention: the 'last mile' of the whole issue is going to
be solved by those guys who do the humble and inglorious, yet highly
respectable, work of putting it all together into a working
distribution.

> Hope with jack-midi we reach a definitive solution for audio/midi
> in linux,
> probably the transition starts now.

I hope there continues to be some heat on the JACK core to get things
right, and I also hope that there continue to be alternatives
proffered in light of the stagnation that inevitably occurs when
people are doing things for love, and little other motivation.

;
--
Jay Vaughan