[LAD] Summercode 2008: LASH as a D-Bus service

Marc-Olivier Barre mobarre at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 20:58:01 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 8:51 PM, Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh> wrote:
> > In my opinion, the concept of "audio session" should _optionally_ include JACK
> > server settings. The user should be able to save and load his/her preferred
> > JACK settings along with a session
>
> This can be done without any specific support in LASH.  You would only
> need a JACK-settings LASH client that saves settings with the session
> and then loads them again when it's restored.  Of course, "loads them
> again" would be non-trivial at present.

has some sort of preset management (it is planned)

> What's really needed to support this kind of operation is a more dynamic
> jackd that can have settings changed arbitrarily and, where possible,
> without damage to the client graph.  The driver switching patch (from a
> long time ago) was intended to be a movement in this direction.

I imagine this is a lot tougher, and I'm not sure there's any urgency
in doing that.

Now to add my two cents to the debate, I would also say that having
some gigantic daemon on top of everything is certainly not a good
idea. But having a control application that can handle jack and lash
would be very convenient IMHO...

Maybe my pyjackctl thingy needs to be renamed something else to also
integrate lash support when some dbus interface is also available to
control it :-)