[LAD] LV2 " isn't well thought out ?" LV2 in the Reaper sequencer

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jan 24 13:39:20 UTC 2008

Am Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2008 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 04:02:29PM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> > "Benno Senoner" <benno.senoner at googlemail.com> writes:
> > > after all we share all the same goal of better and free tools to
> > > make music
> > I'm confused, because this is not true. Your software, LinuxSampler,
> > is not free software. You've also refused to participate in all the
> > threads we've got on this list about your license, which is the source
> > of so much frustration.
> > As far as I can see, we don't share any goals?.
> Isn't this a bit extreme ? I don't want to start a new war
> on the definition of the word 'free' in this context, but
> I just note there is _nothing_ in the LS license that stops
> me from using it without paying a cent, or even to modify it
> and make the modified version avaiable to whoever wants it.
> I use it almost every day, and enjoy doing so.

Yes, there is a very valid reason for you not to do so: Adding something to
the gpl _and_ still calling it the gpl is not valid. So in fact LS has _no_
valid license. The only thing protecting it is the natural(?) copyrights of
the ones who invented it.
No one else is allowed to copy or distribute (or maybe even use) it without
there explicit statement. You can give that statement by publishing it under
a certain license but the gpl itself states that making additions to it and
still call it gpl is invalidating it...

So please(!) LS-devs, give LS a valid license, be it open source or not, free
as in defined-by-the-fsf or not.

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/