[LAD] Prototyping algorithms and ideas

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Thu Jan 24 21:04:18 UTC 2008

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Another very new contender is Vessel, a (micro)sound synthesis
> package for Lua:
> http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/%7Ewakefield/lua%7E/lua%7E.htm
> http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/%7Ewakefield/lua%7E/Wakefield_MSThesis_MAT07_Vessel.pdf

Looks like that thesis was done at CREATE (UCSB). Interesting, thanks
for pointing that out! I know Lua a bit (heck, it even runs on my HP 50g
calculator, which is quite an amazing feat), but I didn't know about the
synthesis package.

> Maybe Vessel can be married with Faust as well, like the Q/Faust
> coupling?

Faust can be made to work in any environment which provides some means
to integrate (via static or dynamic linking or whatever) basic dsp
components processing a stream of samples, and can provide some way to
exchange control variable values. So if Lua or Vessel itself provides
these tie-ins then it should be possible, but of course someone needs to
write the C++ template for it. ;-)

Cheers,
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag