[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Marek mlf.conv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:58:22 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 2:52 PM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 14:37 +0100, Marek wrote:
> >

> > On Jan 27, 2008 1:19 PM, Luis Garrido
> > <luisgarrido at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >         > 1. usage of a computer program licensed under the terms of
> >         GPL in a hardware
> >         > product, whether modified or not, is not a distribution of a
> >         computer
> >         > program licensed under the terms of GPL, and is thus
> >         prohibited by GPL.
> >

> >         I don't follow you there. Why the exception you mention
> >         (selling
> >         computers with Linux preinstalled) is indeed a exception and
> >         not the
> >         rule?
> >
> >  It's the only case i can think of right now, that allows to
> > distribute GPLed software inside hardware  for profit,
> > because you're making profit out of the hardware  not the software.
>
> The Tivo, several routers and other appliances ...

If i were the copyright holder i would only allow it under a different
license, and charge for it.
Let's put it this way:
Can you ditch Linux installed on a computer you just bought and install a
different OS on that comuter along with applications? Yes.
Can you install a different sw on your router which uses GPLed software? No.

The thing is that in case of a router the sofware that is licensed under the
GPL represents a substantial part of the product, whereas in case of a
computer it does not.

Marek