[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Sun Jan 27 20:40:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 08:14:29PM +0100, Marek wrote:
>On Jan 27, 2008 6:10 PM, Forest Bond <forest at alittletooquiet.net> wrote:
>>On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 02:29:33PM +0100, Marek wrote:
>>> Note the the GPL is an extremely restrictive license(to the advantage of the
>>> copyright holder), and numerous articles have been published, and numerous
>>> statements from various companies have been issued  regarding this very
>>> issue.

>>This is FUD, plain and simple.  What, do you work for Wasabi [1][2], or
>>something?

> FUD for who? For those who make profit out of work of others?

According to the FSF:

  Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute,
  study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four
  kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

Profit is one such purpose, and I believe that Stallman himself would defend it
vigorously.

> Are you also making money out of work of others?

Who isn't?  All work is based on the work of others.

> If so then this is FUD for you indeed. If you are a copyright holder then you
> should know how the GPL protects your work.

Agreed.  But your interpretation of the GPL is one that I've certainly never
seen.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond