[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Marek mlf.conv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:49:04 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 11:21 PM, Dennis Schulmeister
<linux-audio-dev at windows3.de> wrote:
> > As the GPL doesn't differentiate between source-code level or
> > binary-code level, it *includes* both cases and so a separate
> > application not capable of functioning as a standalone application
> > and communicating with another licensed under the terms of GPL is a
> > *derived* work.
>
> Let's assume a Linux based operating system. Any application compiled
> for that system needs the Linux kernel to be present in order to run.
> Without the application cannot run. But does this render the application
> a derived work?

Do most of opensource applications run on other operating systems such
as windows and MacOSX?
And i mean, including KDE running on windows and MacOSX? Most GNOME
apps? Most web based tehcnologies? Jack? Ardour? LinuxSampler?
Do they, in combination with Linux and special Hardware form a special
product in your case?

> > Let's look at a real world case(the best one i could think about at
> > the moment), suppose you manufacture shoes that you distribute  via
> > FedEx. Who is charging for distribution? Who is charging  for the
> > shoes? As you can see, charging for distribution of a computer program
> > and charging for distribution of a computer program are 2 different
> > things.
>
> I would be charging for distribution. FedEx would bill me a small amount
> for their service. I would charge that amount plus a little bit for
> additional costs to the customer.

You're nitpicking.
Who gets the money for the shoes?
Who gets the money for the distribution?

Marek