[LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Mon Jan 28 04:11:55 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 04:51:34AM +0100, Marek wrote:
> Besides the term "Commercial interest" means that the copyright holders are
> also included.

By releasing software under the terms of the GPL, authors give others the right
to distribute their software for a fee without any compensation.  Surely, you
recognize this.

> Why would you want commercial interest in your software if you don't get
> anything for it, no money, no code.  Maybe there are motivations besides this,
> i dont know of any.

This makes me wonder how well you understand open-source developers.  You are,
after all, a lawyer, not a software developer.  It does not surprise me in the
least that you can't imagine any motivation for publishing software beyond
financial compensation.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond