[LAD] [Jackit-devel] Abstraction for JACK control API

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Tue Jan 29 09:09:28 UTC 2008

Le 29 janv. 08 à 06:11, Nedko Arnaudov a écrit :

> Stéphane Letz <letz at grame.fr> writes:
>
>> Could JackEngine here be renamed "JackServer"? I think It would
>> correspond more to what "engine" and "server" are internally.
>
> Now that we are on this, please tell me what "server" and "engine" are
> internally, from your point of view. I dont care that much about
> actual
> naming as long as it is commonly accepted. For example I can recall
> some
> ppl calling jackd process the "server".

Speaking for jackdmp:

- JackEngine keep the list of clients (internal in the server and
"external/proxy" ones)

- JackServer keeps a JackEngine object, the currently used audio
driver, the "freewheel" driver... It is the "global" object  in the
server process, that allocates and keeps every more internal objects.

>> Then why
>> not translate that in a pure C API, something like:
>
> I'll translate it once we agree on the API model (including naming).
> And
> I'll at least implement the API for the trunk jack codebase.

OK

Stephane