[LAD] LS licensing (was: LV2 " isn't well thought out ?" LV2 in the Reaper sequencer)

pete shorthose zenadsl6252 at zen.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 02:24:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:18:00 -0500
Dave Robillard <dave at drobilla.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 21:39 +0000, pete shorthose wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:13:02 -0500
> > Dave Robillard <dave at drobilla.net> wrote:

> > now, if you feel the need, concoct some juicy
> > combination of pejoratives and craft them into
> > a rejoinder. it's a free shot at the basket
> > because i'm well and truly done talking to you.
> > i might as well be debating an ATM.
>
> No, that's quite alright.  You began the attacks, you may finish them.
>
> I'm not sure how you can possibly justify the ridiculous argument above
> given the nature of how this sub-thread began (i.e. you attacking me).

bull. you used the ad populum logical fallacy to defend your favoured interpretation
of a contentious term. i used that same logical fallacy against you because
it was false. obviously, as a natural consequence of refuting me, you would refute
your earlier argument.

i thought you would appreciate it given our seemingly endless debate about the viability
of theoretically riding a theoretical bicycle. you can hardly claim to be ignorant of debating
methods and their uses. i even said "virtually no one welcomes drobilla" when you joined #lad on freenode.
it was TEH FUNNEZ!  so you see, how did i insult you if i used a _false_ argument? it's just nonsense.
granted, it's possible that some may have missed my point (i seriously doubt you did,
and that is a complement i might add) but i subsequently explained it, TWICE before
and now thrice. did you not read what i wrote, or, what exactly?
it's just not credible to continuously maintain that i insulted you.
to do so however, does capably distract from the fact that you were wrong.
which i think is EXACTLY the point.

open source is a contentious term. it's use predates any attempt by vested interests
to canonise it. it is intrinsically ambiguous when used to describe source code
as the historical use of the term open implies nothing reliable what so ever
about the terms of a fucking software license. to my mind, the OSI has a decidedly
corporate bent and thus i'm not at all surprised to find that a corporate clause
is verboten.

in short, it's an awful term to use in an *unqualified* manner. not that you care,
running roughshod over any dissenting voices safe in the ken that your
position in the community affords you special privilege. what was it you said
about deceit and PR? to people who have worked damned hard to get us a
gig compatible sampler on linux?

if you had said that LS is not in conformance with open source as defined by the OSI, then
benno or christian would have probably replied, you are correct, and that isn't
important to me. and that would have been that.

now, the reason i'm rather more uhm.. "energised" than usual is due to that lovely
little chat on irc that we had in the interim. where you so generously implied that,
whilst it's presumably ok for you to fill up the lists with views on the validity of
software licenses, us low folk better shut the hell up and not bother you with their
silly views else you'll up and leave the community.

well you know, if you're that sensitive, don't discuss it in the first place.
and don't ever try and blackmail me with dumb shit like that. i'm not in the
tiniest bit impressed with your alpha male crap. the only reason we don't
go at it a lot more is because you contribute a great deal to linux audio and
my handful of edits to a few apps does is not sufficient for me to regularly infringe
on the peace of mind of the list subbers. (and to be honest, even if i matched you
in terms of code output, i still wouldn't make a habit of it)

i'm probably as arrogant and aggressive as you but at least i try to keep it
under wraps eh?

cheers,
pete.