[LAD] jack client autoconnection

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Thu Jan 31 08:43:18 UTC 2008

Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen:
>> - My usual grunge: unless you want me accidentally
>>  destroy some very expensive equipment which is not
>>  even mine, the generated JACK apps
>>
>>  MUST NOT AUTOCONNECT --- NEVER --- TO ANYTHING.
>
> We discussed this two years ago. I both respect and understand
> your reasons to take your position on this issue, but I still
> strongly disagree with you, and I also think its a bit sad
> that you use such strong wording about an issue which there
> clearly are two different views upon. Its also sad if you
> destroy your equipment, but you are actually
> yourself to blame if it happens.
>
> And just to repeat my position: Unless someone can make
> it probable that most people prefer jack applications not
> to autoconnect by default, all jack programs should
> autoconnect by default.

i don't understand this position - can you clarify?
iiuc, autoconnection here means "connect to the soundcard in/outs" by
default without asking, not "restore something the user has stored in a
configuration", right?
the latter is ok for me (because i can turn it off), the former is
highly irritating - i have never actually been tempted to destroy
equipment, but then my jack graphs aren't usually as complex as fons' :)
the worst thing i've done so far is yank out virtual connections by the
bundle to let off steam :)

to me, autoconnect-by-default doesn't make much sense - jack is about
the possibility of complex graphs and multiple stages of signal
processing, so the assumption "let's hook ourselves up to the soundcard,
it has to be what the user wants" is false most of the time.

i agree that user-friendliness should be a concern as well, but not at
the cost of extra quirks for the pro user. maybe jack clients could
display a pop-up informing the user s/he needs to connect manually (and
how), or at least each jack client should provide a switch to turn off
autoconnection.

regards,

jörn

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.