[LAD] Writing a library?

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 23 02:26:09 UTC 2008

I've been looking around for a library to read and write SFZ files,
which is an open sampler format released by Cakewalk:

http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/sfz.asp

Finding none, I thought I might try my hand at writing a library for
this myself, as there is no embedded wave information like with Gig
files. SFZ is simply a text file to be parsed.

Now, I know about writing a good header file, and its associated class,
and all that, but I have no knowledge of how to write it as a dynamic
library. Google searches on every possible permutation have been
worthless to me as well.

I would prefer to write it in C++, as that's what I know, and even then,
not too well, hence why I thought I'd start with something simple like
parsing a text file. If anyone has any advice, recommendations, or
ideas, I'll happily listen and learn. I have yet to think too much about
how the data will be stored in the class, and what methods to make
available to access it, so if anyone knows any best practices there, I'd
really like to know. Consider this a feeler post.

I'd ultimately want this for a future project, which you can guess at by
now.

Thank you for the help!

Regards,
Darren Landrum