[LAD] [OT] CD-R masters, block error rate and dvd-r mystery...

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Jul 23 14:18:57 UTC 2008

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> * how on earth can the same content burned via cdrdao to a CD-R on a
> cdrw drive (Plextor) and a dvdrw drive (LG) differ in several hundred
> thousand bytes when read back in with cdparanoia?

hmm. again, here's what i did:

i burned the same disk-at-once session four times, using the following
command:

cdrdao write /dev/<device> mytoc.toc

twice i wrote to /dev/cdrw, and twice to /dev/dvdrw.

all four disks were read back in using cdparanoia, to four different
directories: cdrw1, cdrw2, dvdr1, dvdr2.

when i cmp the files in cdrw[12], no diff.
when i cmp the files in dvdr[12], no diff.

when i cmp cdrwN to dvdrN, pooof! several thousand bytes differ.

wtf?????

please tell me it's really obvious and i'm doing something unspeakably
stupid.

regards,

jörn

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.