[LAD] embedded high end audio

Eric Shattow lucent at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 20:31:18 UTC 2008

Correction:  the Indigo IO is 2 in / 2 out;  the Indigo DJ is 0 in, 4 out

Unless I am mistaken.

I'm guessing that the F/OSS options are basically:

Custom board design with PCI envy24 chipset => ALSA : JACK / ~2ms
IEEE1394 devices made by ECHO (AudioFire2/4) => FFADO : JACK / ~4ms
Cardbus devices made by ECHO (Indigo IO/DJ) => ALSA : JACK / ~4ms
USB devices (48kHz native rate) => ALSA : JACK / ~8ms

The cardbus is going to be easiest for a one-off project. ALSA drivers for
the Indigo products are relatively mature. Some smaller ITX computer boards
feature cardbus interfaces built-in.

I seem to remember seeing a 64studio-related hardware device that integrated
an AudioFire2 though...