[LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 13:51:45 UTC 2008

2008/6/2 Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>:
> Quoting Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail at gmail.com>:
>
>> It would work like this:
>>
>> stereo input -> hosts converts to 5.1 (the effect states it needs 6
>> channels) -> apply effect with 6 in channels and 6 out channels -> 5.1
>> output
>
> How would the host convert the stereo input to 5.1? In my view, that is the
> whole purpose of the effect.

The original question was:

> OK, I'm playing a stereo file on my 5.1 setup and want a plugin
> to add some ambience using all speakers. That's 2 in, 6 out,
> and nothing special I'd say.

Now, if I undestood it correctly, it was about adding some ambience to
5.1 sound, not just converting to 5.1.

Think about it, if an host supports 5.1 output and stereo input, it
really should know how to do conversion without relying on external
plugins, or am I missing something?

Stefano