[LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 13:58:48 UTC 2008

2008/6/2 Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net>:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 01:39:26PM +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
>
>> It would work like this:
>>
>> stereo input -> hosts converts to 5.1
>
> What do you mean by 'converts to 5.1' ?
> That's actually what the plugin is supposed to do,
> and the only reason why it's being used. If the host
> is doing this sort of thing then you don't need plugins
> at all.

With 'converting stereo to 5.1' I was meaning something like this (roughly):
left_out = surround_left_out = left_in
right_out = surround_right_out = right_in
lfe_out = center_out = (left_in + right_in) / 2

(or lfe_out with some kind of low-pass filtering, you choose)

>> (the effect states it needs 6 channels)
>
> Which doesn't imply 5.1.
> What would be in the 6 input channels ?

This is true. But this is true for LADSPA (LV2 too?) as well. Ok, I'm
thinking about it for the next draft.

Stefano