[LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Jun 2 14:29:00 UTC 2008

Am Montag, 2. Juni 2008 schrieb Stefano D'Angelo:
> 2008/6/2 Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de>:
> >> What do you mean by 'converts to 5.1' ?
> >> That's actually what the plugin is supposed to do,
> >> and the only reason why it's being used. If the host
> >> is doing this sort of thing then you don't need plugins
> >> at all.
> > @Stefano: Without having seen anything from your spec, when you don't
> > allow different numbers of input- and output-channels your spec is
> > absolutely worthless.
> Because...?

Because:

Either your plugins are all stereo in and stereo out. Too bad that no one can
use your plugin-format to do 5.1-downmixing or converting stereo/5.1 to
stereo-for-headphones. Bummer, won't be used.

Or all the plugins are 5.1 (= six channels). Neither the stereo-only crowds
will adopt your interface nor the 7.1 cineastics.

And if you answer that conversion between numbers of channels should be done
by the host and not by different plugins, what need for plugins do remain for
the average media-player? EQ? That can be done by the host too, no need to
add a plugin-infrastructure for that.

You don't have to listen to me. But there are some good folks in this list
with _lots_ of knowledge and experience with plugins (Paul Davis, Fons
Adriansen, Lars Luthman(n?), Nedko Arnaudov to name just a few). and while
they might have different views each other, you should _really_ listen to
them...

Arnold

PS: No need to CC me, I am subscribed.
--