[LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jun 2 15:07:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 16:49 +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> 2008/6/2 Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>:

> > for what is worth, correct plugin chaining is pretty hard to do. ardour
> > attempts to do this with LADSPA/VST/AudioUnit/LV2, and its really quite
> > a difficult problem to get it right for all cases. what ardour does
> > relies on mechanisms that some way outside of any of the above named
> > plugin APIs, and are much more related to its internal signal processing
> > model. if you tried to graft that code into some other host, my guess is
> > that you'd have to completely reimplement it.
>
> I don't know if you're saying I'm right or wrong (or none of the two).
>
> With an API like EPAMP it would be quite straightforward actually,
> without "more abstraction".

so when a user decides to insert a plugin that has 2 inserts and 2
outputs in between 2 plugins that have 1 output and 1 input
respectively, what do you propose to do with the signal?

when a user adds a 1 input plugin after a plugin with 2 outputs, what do
you propose to do with the signal?

when a user deletes a 1 in/1out plugin from between a 1out and a 2in
plugin, what do you propose do with the signal?