[LAD] Let's kill EPAMP???

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jun 3 07:51:17 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, 3. Juni 2008 schrieb Stefano D'Angelo:
> 2008/6/3 Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de>:
> >> I guess you mean resampling, otherwise I don't think it's phisically
> >> possible to go ahead or behind in time.
> > Whats the difference in this respect? Both change the number of samples,
> > do they?
> The difference is enormous: the host has to know if the plugin does
> resampling!

Yep, thats why the plugins have to tell the host how many samples they create
from the number of input samples. (With the default of the same number of
samples...)
But the host should _never_ force a plugin to do resampling/time-stretching!
Because it opens a pandoras box of bad quality!

> >> I'm not interest in resampling plugins, but maybe someone else is?
> > Not me, but when you start designing a plugin-interface with that
> > attitude, you will loose. You _are_ interested in all possible plugins
> > because you want your interface to rule the world and be used by all
> > plugin-devs. (Regardless whether we are talking EPAMP, LV2, LADSPA, VST
> > or gstreamer-plugins.)
> This is not true for every plugin API. By design, some are meant to be
> universal, others are not. It's a matter of choice IMHO.

Well, your first proposal was a "universal" plugin API!? Being universal is
one of the things you wanted in the first place. And its why LV2 supports
extensions...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/