[LAD] Let's kill EPAMP???

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Tue Jun 3 08:51:37 UTC 2008

"Stefano D'Angelo" <zanga.mail at gmail.com> writes:

>>> #3. Some serious connection logic thing (all the "equal channels" thing etc.).
>>> This needs a thousand flame wars and *deep* thinking.
>>
>> No idea what you mean by this.
>
> If someone is going to write that helper library (or adjust SLV2 or
> whatever), I guess we should find some reasonable conventions to
> organize and use plugins in a chain-like thing. This is damn hard, as
> Paul Davis outlined already on this mailing list, and I actually don't
> know to which degree it should be done.

Looks like good cadidate for separate helper library. But as Paul said,
proably each player will end with its own helper "library".

> Example: some LV2 extension tells the host that which parameter is a
> "quality vs. speed" parameter in a plugin. The host can, then, show a
> global "quality vs. speed" parameter to the user.

In dynparam extension there are "hints" for this. They could be used as
generic UI generation hints, as MIDI mapping hints or as "quality
vs. speed" hint. I think this could be done for normal LV2 ports too,
i.e. assigning hint URIs with a port.

>>> #7. Global explicit initialization/finalization functions for more
>>> exotic platforms (they wouldn't harm, so why not having them).
>>
>> I still dont get what is the use case for this.
>
> Both on the host side and on the plugin side, no need for #ifdefs to
> define initialization/finalization functions and maybe support for
> exotic platforms not having them.

I dont see what you will do within those global
initialization/finalization functions. That thing needs to be something
not platform specific. This can be made as separate thing that can be
reused for other things too. The same way libtool is asbtraction to
shared libraries.

>>> #8. Rules to find plugins possibly platform-specific and outside of
>>> the specification; possibly one compile-time valid path.
>>
>> AFAIK, this conficts with "LV2 spirit". Why one needs this? If the goal
>> is to avoid RDF Turtle, this shouldnt be issue with proper helper
>> library for hosts. Still such feature could be implemented in such a
>> helper library.
>
> Nope. I mean there should be platform-specific rules to get the list
> of directories containing shared object files and possibly there
> should be a fixed path to check on each platform, known at compile
> time.

Interface to SLV2 (-like) library should definitively allow modification
of directory list.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>