[LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Tue Jun 3 21:22:15 UTC 2008

Paul Davis:

> sure, thats a good high level description of what ardour is doing.

I thought ardour (ongoing) doesn't allow inserting plugins with
non-matching portcounts?

> but think about what this actually means in practice: it means that
> your chaining logic is actually responsible for plugin
> instantiation (and destruction). a given plugin "unit" might have
> 1, 2 or more actual plugin instances within it. but if plugin
> instantiation is being done from within the chaining logic, how
> does it share code that the host might use that overlaps with this
> in some way?

My gut reaction is to think that it's a bad thing if there were
overlaps in handling connections; that there should be 1 plumber in
the house to handle all the connections a signal route could imply.

The plumber would know from a chain members's properties whether it
needs to bring in jack logic, inter-plugin logic ... The house would
only ask for new chain members, not set them up. Refactor?

Wolfgang