[LAD] JackOSX link troubles

Pete Black pete at marchingcubes.com
Sun Jun 8 01:25:20 UTC 2008

Hi there,

In my quest to compile and package qTribe, i thought i'd use my iBook to
see how much of a pain it will be to run it under OS X.

(I know Jack OS X doesnt support CoreMIDI port-bridging yet so it won't
be too useful on OS X)

I can compile it quite happily with the Qt I downloaded from Trolltech,
but when it comes to linking against the Jack Framework provided by
JackOSX 0.77 I get this:

g++  -o ../bin/qtribe qtribe.o main.o jackIO.o sequencerCore.o
stepSequence.o stepsequencerwidget.o stepsequencerwidgetbase.o
moc_qtribe.o moc_stepsequencerwidget.o moc_stepsequencerwidgetbase.o
-L/Developer/qt/lib -ljack -lqt-mt -lm -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libjack.dylib load command 4 unknown cmd field
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [../bin/qtribe] Error 1

Now, i'm guessing that JackOSX was compiled on leopard using whatever
fancy shiz apple bundle with 10.5 and this is not backwards compatible
by default.

But, is there any way around this issue? I can try downloading XCode 2.5
(on 2.2 here) but that 900MB of stuff just to link JACK. the previous
version of JACK i had installed (which put a dylib directly in
/usr/local/lib instead of a symlink to a Framework) links fine, but
doesn't include JACK MIDI so it fails there.

Can I recompile Jack with my older gcc etc.? Will upgrading to XCode 2.5
definitely fix the problem? Is there a compiler flag I can use to make
the error disappear?

Any help appreciated,

-Pete