[LAD] LV2 dyanic manifest extension proposal

Steve Harris steve at plugin.org.uk
Sun Jun 8 10:20:17 UTC 2008

On 8 Jun 2008, at 02:31, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> /* This function shall create a temporary file containing the
> dynamically
> * generated manifest.ttl-like file and return a FILE pointer or NULL
> in case
> * of failure.
> *
> * The generated file must not implement DynManifest classes. */
> FILE * lv2_dyn_manifest();

Seems like a solid proposal. I'm not familiar enough with the
extension mechanism to know if you need some extra stuff to define the
extension URI and so, but the idea seems solid.

One comment, it will be difficult for the plugin to know when it can
clean up the file. Obviously on UNIXy systems you can unlink it after
returning the FILE * to the host, and let the filesystem garbage
collect it later, but I don't think you can do that on Windows.

Maybe it would be a good idea to provide a lv2_dyn_manifest_done()
function or similar, so that windows-based plugins can clean up their
temporary files?

- Steve