[LAD] latency issues (practical aid needed on a practical example) (fwd)

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Wed Jun 11 16:22:09 UTC 2008

Hi everyone!
   (this was first posted on Linux-Audio-Users, but is probably really more
suited to this list.)
   I just compiled a sound generator, which can be controlled vai MIDI, it uses
simpe raw-midi and jack as output, via bio2jack.
   Now I have horrible latency 0.2-0.5sec (rough estimate). Where should I start
looking in my setupt. I know others had the software running without problems.
   Sorry for being so abstract, but I'm not allowed to mention the software. :-(
   I already tried setting internal audio-buffer to 128 samples and reducing
message queues for the tonegenerator and MIDI. Still it's much too much
latency. Does bio2jack have some settings for reducing latency? Does bio2jack
do samplerate conversion, is it costly? The sound-engines samplerate is set to
44100 or 22050 and my JACKd runs at 48000.

   But I could post parts of the source if necessary.
   My setup is:
Debian Lenny with custom built kernel 2.6.24-rt1
   JACK subversion 0.109.0
   jack-commandline:
jackd --timeout 4500 -R -d alsa -d hw:1 -r 48000 -p 128 -H -M -z shaped
   ALSA version 1.0.15
   Any idea where to optimise?
   Kindest regards
          Julien