[LAD] starting out with tux audio

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Tue Jun 17 05:45:16 UTC 2008

AlgoMantra wrote:
> I know that website, Jens... and a good bit of Microsound theory. I also
> have Curtis Roads' insane book. I'm looking
> for ways to make grains and play clouds using /dev/dsp and C code.
> I should be better off experimenting myself than looking for help,
> but a little cheating never hurt anybody ;)

Well, it can be fun to poke around with a little bit of C code, but in
the case of GS this probably won't get you very far unless you really
get serious and write your own realtime synthesis engine. Which isn't easy.

So why not use SuperCollider? SC is well-suited for this kind of
application because of the ease with which you can allocate massive
amounts of voices dynamically. All the realtime audio and control stuff
that you need is already there, and you can still program everything the
way you want it, rather than using some ready-made GS software.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag