[LAD] ALSA doumentation

nescivi nescivi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 16:51:12 UTC 2008

On Sunday 16 November 2008 07:07:23 Hannu Savolainen wrote:
> > I have already told you twice before, and a third time
> > above. So I'm not going to repeat this again. If you
> > don't want to understand, which seems to be the case,
> > I'm wasting my time. I *do* understand your arguments,
> > but they just don't apply in this case - I'm not writing
> > a desktop MP3 player.
>
> And what might your application do?

Fons is writing a special purpose audio system for Wave Field Synthesis where
the MADI card will be solely used to output to 64 speakers lined up in a row.
Since this is a big, probably multicomputer system, where several machines
get audio input from another computer playing sound to this WFS system. The
computers on which his application will run will not be used as desktop
computers, but rather as audio engines for this system; their sole purpose
will be to take audio input, do calculations like time delays and
convolution, and supply the output of these computations to the audio
outputs.
He needs to make this system autorecover from any accidental loss of external
sync, since he will not be able to watch the control panel of one computer,
let alone 16 or so. And he needs other people to be able to use and run the
system, when he takes a break, or has more important things to do.

I hope this helps clarify why he needs to have access to these lowlevel
features.

sincerely,
Marije