[LAD] ALSA doumentation

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Mon Nov 17 20:32:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:41:49PM +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:14:32AM +0200, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
>
> > Instead this kind of monitoring can be given to a dedicated program (if
> > a simple shell script cannot do it). This keeps the actual application
> > clean and reduces the risk that it doesn't work with a MADI card from
> > some other manufacturer.
>
> That is exactly what I'm doing, and I have already told you
> at least three times. That 'dedicated program' is still _an
> application_. And no, it can't be 'a simple script' it is
> doing a lot more than you can imagine - including configuring
> a lot of external hardware, sometimes directly, sometimes by
> talking to daemons on other machines, etc. etc.
>
> It doesn't have to work with any other card. We are relying
> on the functionality of very specific external hardware anyway.
> Unless you know a replacement for e.g. and RME ADI648, and you
> can 'abstract' both this and the ADI648 to the same remote
> control API without any loss of functionality.

considering, that you already have a solution for the problem, posted by
Clemens Ladish, this discussion is just for fun, right ?

please continue, reading this thread is making my day since 3 days :)

i have a question:
is the sync resetting a bug in alsa ?
does anybody have an interest in an ALSA bug getting fixed ?

--
torben Hohn