[LAD] update of jkmeter

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Oct 7 11:26:03 UTC 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Jkmeter-0.4.0 is now available at the usual place:
>
> <http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/downloads>
>
> Jkmeter is a combined RMS/digital peak meter based on
> the ideas of mastering guru Bob Katz.
>
> New options in this release:
>
> -type k14  : K14 scale instead of the default K20.
>
> Use this for mixing to a higher average level.
>
> -A         : Ambisonic (4ch) mode.
> -C         : Adds a stereo correlation meter.
>
> Used on a Ambisonic B-format signal the correlation
> meter uses W and X, and indicates how 'forward' the
> sound stage is.

thanks - very nice indeed. i have immediately ditched my old reference
meter [1] after trying this one.

can i humbly request configurable correlation meters for the next
release? it would be really useful to have one for each W/X, W/Y and W/Z
(for "forwardness", "rightness" and "upness" :)

btw: having worked with calibrated monitors for a week now, i can warmly
recommend this practise for everyone doing serious audio work. the k
meter is really really useful to judge loudness, and it will give you a
constant reference which you will internalize after a while. if people
can have perfect pitch, why not train perfect loudness? imagine being
able to tell your fellow golden-eared friends "not only is it concert a
and slightly flat, it's also 76 dB SPL" :-D

best,

jörn

[1] an obscure product called jmeter-0.1.0 :-D

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.