[LAD] [LAU] Simple, easy multithreaded circular buffer library for Linux?

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri Oct 17 15:33:58 UTC 2008

Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

> To figure whether memory barriers are needed or not, we need to run the test on
> various architectures.
>
> For this purpose, I've set up a small svn repo with everything to run the test
> easily. There's no dependency, you just need pthread, gcc and sh.
>
> Here's how to run the test:
>
> svn co http://svn.samalyse.com/misc/rbtest
> cd rbtest
> make test

i don't really understand the finer points of this discussion, but hey
it's always great to join a technical thread. my favourite bikeshed
color is yellow :-D

ok, here comes the result for a single-cpu athlon64 4000+ in 64bit mode.

nettings at kleineronkel:/build/rbtest> make test
gcc -Wall -I. -I./jack -lpthread -o test-int-array-jack \
                test-int-array.c jack/ringbuffer.c
test-int-array.c: In function ‘main’:
test-int-array.c:101: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but
argument 2 has type ‘long unsigned int’
gcc -Wall -I. -I./portaudio -lpthread -o test-int-array-portaudio \
                test-int-array.c portaudio/ringbuffer.c
portaudio/pa_ringbuffer.c
test-int-array.c: In function ‘main’:
test-int-array.c:101: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but
argument 2 has type ‘long unsigned int’
gcc -Wall -I. -I./portaudio -lpthread -o
test-int-array-portaudio-nobarrier \
                -DNO_MEMORY_BARRIER \
                test-int-array.c portaudio/ringbuffer.c
portaudio/pa_ringbuffer.c
test-int-array.c: In function ‘main’:
test-int-array.c:101: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but
argument 2 has type ‘long unsigned int’
./alltests.sh
Starting ringbuffer tests (buffer size: 512)

=== Jack ringbuffer test ===
starting ringbuffer stress test (2 minutes max)
buffer size (bytes): 512
array size (bytes): 256
reader started on cpu 0
writer started on cpu: 0
49536 != 49408 at offset 0
failure in chunk 330502

=== Portaudio ringbuffer test ===
starting ringbuffer stress test (2 minutes max)
buffer size (bytes): 512
array size (bytes): 256
reader started on cpu 0
writer started on cpu: 0
Success

=== Portaudio ringbuffer test (without memory barriers) ===

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.