[LAD] Any introductory material for sound programming?

Carl-Erik Kopseng carlerik at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 15:32:43 UTC 2008

Having searched the net for hours, I still cannot find any tutorials or
intro-material for someone new to sound programming in Linux. Can anyone tip
me of such a place?
Things that would be valuable for a newbie:
 - Introduction to various ways of storing audio; float vs integer
representation, bit depth issues, etc.
 - Introduction to using standard libraries such as libsndfile and
libsamplerate.
 - How to programatically convert 24 bit sound files to 16 bit files

The *only* audio programming introductions I could find was about ALSA and
OSS.
Trying to directly use the APIs is very frustrating when one doesn't have a
high-level understanding of what goes on ...

--
Carl-Erik Kopseng