[LAD] Importing automation in Ardour

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Oct 28 15:58:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:32:15PM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> both ardour track and plugin automation data is stored in text files,
> named after 'projectname-plugin-trackid.automation'. The First line is
> "version <num>" each line thereafter
>
>    <type> <timestamp(in samples)> <value>
>
> The only valid type is 'g' corresponding to  gain_automation_curve() see
> libs/ardour/io.cc:1715 - it seems like plugin-automation use LADSPA-port
> numbers as type; but I have not verified that in the source.

Interesting, I'll start experimenting with that.

> http://code.google.com/p/noisesmith-linux-audio/downloads/detail?name=ladosc.tar.bz2
> offers both an OSC input and output as LADSPA plugin.

The problem here is that whatever the plugin
inputs is not seen or recorded by Ardour
(or I must be missing some very clever trick).

> yes, works like a charm with a little random latency due to UDP.

In this case there's no delay - the plugins have a shared
memory interface to the application they are controlling.
OSC could be used as input (i.e. recording automation), if
I can make Ardour use this instead of the GUI elements it
creates for the plugins.

Thanks for the ideas !

--
FA