[LAD] jack_capture

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Sep 16 18:09:36 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 01:54:53 pm Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> Can you clarify this? Do you think wav>2ch is
> less supported than wavex>2ch? I'm not going
> to set default format based on ideological reasons.

I think it's a question of specification.  With the original RIFF/WAVE format,
at channels>2, elements of the data layout (specifically, the sample packing
in the 'data' chunk) were explicitly declared to be undefined (essentially
meaning, left up to the implementor), whereas in WAVE-EX they are explicitly
defined.  Thus, you have a much better chance of achieving successful
inter-operability for channels>2 with WAVE-EX.

Cheers!

| beta test, v:                                                           |
|         To voluntarily entrust one's data, one's livelihood and one's   |
|         sanity to hardware or software intended to destroy all three.   |
|         In earlier days, virgins were often selected to beta test       |
|         volcanoes.                                                      |