[LAD] jack_capture

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Sep 16 18:46:56 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, 16. September 2008 schrieb Kjetil S. Matheussen:
> Arnold Krille:
> > wavex is supported by all apps using libsndfile. Where as "standard" wav
> > with
> > more then 2 channels seems to be supported by proprietary apps on other
> > OSes
> > (because they decide on the ending or the magic if the file is the right
> > format) but probably isn't. And will just fill you bug-tracker with "I
> > can't
> > open jack_captures wav files in app XYZ, your app is broken".
> Can you clarify this? Do you think wav>2ch is
> less supported than wavex>2ch? I'm not going
> to set default format based on ideological reasons.

I think that when you write non-standard wav files people will try to use them
in other apps (not using libsndfile) and complain about broken/non-working
files created by your app.
Whereas when the files are wave-ex the other apps will either import them
correctly or not import them at all. The later case will (hopefully) result
in people realizing that wav with >2 channels are illegal and wave-ex is
better and demanding wave-ex support from the vendors of those other apps.

It is all theoretical thoughts, but when it comes to inter-operability my
experience is that MS-users will complain if you don't speak their format
while not seeing that open-source apps speak more formats than closed source
apps. Just compare the list of import-filters of MS-Word and OO-Writer, if
you are lucky you can find an Word95 import filter in the standard
word-installation, don't even think about Lotus or other formats...

Have fun,

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/