[LAD] SC3-- Help !

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Sep 19 21:01:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 04:06:44PM -0400, nescivi wrote:

> Hiho,

HiHo !

> > I mean, the *.sc files are on an NFS disk - not even
> > on my own machine. And I don't want anything copied
> > to my $HOME just because I'm running them - I'm not
> > even creating new synthdefs, just using the ones I
> > have and there are quite happy where they are.
>
> In that case, I am guessing you are running scsynth on another machine too...
> then SynthDef.send is recommended in any case.

No, sclang and scsynth are running locally. But the source
files are on a shared directory (in this case on a remote
machine, but that's really irrelevant)- what is relevant is
that they are not in any way associated with me as a user.
And consequently there is no point in storing anything in
my $HOME.

None of the *.sc files I'm running is creating new synthdefs,
they are just using the precompiled ones stored in the local
synthdef directory, and this worked perfectly before. So the
choice between .send or .write is irrelevant.

The whole idea of using $HOME/share just doesn't make any
sense, for several reasons.

First, it's a contradiction just as ./private/public
would be. Nothing in my home directory is ever shared,
no other user has any access there.

Second, it's as wrong as

~/share/g++/objectfiles    or
~/share/ardour/peak-files

would be.

If anything has to be shared, the worst place to put it
is in a user's home. No sane sysadmin would ever think
of doing such a thing.

Third, if I want to backup a SC project, or just share it,
or send it to someone else, then I'd expect all data to
be under a single directory.

Is this ~/share thing Linux-specific or cross-platform ?

Ciao,

--
FA

Parma, Italia