[LAD] Specification issues in open systems

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 27 21:03:24 UTC 2008

Paul Davis wrote:
> something must be going wrong with the world darren. we're in agreement
> with each other twice in the same month :))
It must be something in the water. :-P

So... Why couldn't session states be saved as part of JACK? I realize it
can be argued that it isn't within the scope of JACK, but... Isn't it,
kinda? It's an important feature, and it has to get implemented *somewhere*.

Of course, it makes the most sense that session states should be saved
and recalled by the host. Isn't that also a part of what LASH is trying
to accomplish? Unfortunately, I have to plead ignorance here, as I'm no
coder, just a math head trying to make some new plug-ins, and getting
nowhere, I might add.

I still regard LV2 as a potentially powerful system for creating and
handling virtual instruments and effects, but the right extensions
(events and MIDI, and UI) would have to be implemented by the popular
hosts. That's my largely ignorant opinion, anyway.

-- Darren Landrum