[LAD] Specification issues in open systems

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 27 22:47:49 UTC 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Well, a 'rich' plugin standard has to provide almost
> everything that the operating system provides: audio,
> midi, GUI, network,... So why not use the system as
> your host ? All it takes is a good session manager.

This is clearly a repeating theme here. Is LASH the solution to this
issue, then? I remember looking at the documentation for it and thinking
it didn't look too difficult to implement.

Reaktor works by having a standalone app for designing new ensembles (a
complete instrument, effect, or combination thereof), and the VST
plug-in is basically the core engine with the GUI engine running the
ensemble without all of the graph-y back-end editing features. I don't
know any of the details on how they made this work. I get the impression
that the Emu Emulator X/X2 sampler works the same way.

Gigasampler is not a plug-in, but used Propellerhead's ReWire, perhaps
the closest analog to JACK on Windows. ReWire, though, can save the
state of the slave programs "wired in" to the host app. I don't know how
they accomplish this. (Big fat lot of help I am, I know.)

I'd still like to think that there is still an innovative solution to
this problem, and that we are the ones destined to find it. Time for
some brainstorming, perhaps?

-- Darren Landrum