[LAD] Something like Processing for audio

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 28 16:44:58 UTC 2008

Mr.SpOOn wrote:
>>> Why couldn't we make something like that for audio? It would most likely
>>> be C++ rather than Java, but the idea of building up DSP networks using
>>> a large framework of code, plus some pre-defined functions and settings,
>>> and being able to launch our new code with a one-touch button into a
>>> JACK client (or whatever), is extremely appealing to me.

>> Faust, CLAM, SuperCollider, Lua-AV, Common Lisp Music, CSound, (Pd) ..
>> take your pick.

> And ChucK (http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/). It also has its editor.

I really wish I could explain why none of those are quite what I see in
my head.

Part of why I don't like any of those is that they create whole new
languages, or use languages I've never touched. ChucK is especially
confusing to me.

Also, processing compiles everything down to a standalone executable
that can be distributed. Can any of those audio options do that?

I also seem to recall SuperCollider and Csound having issues with
certain features, like oversampling, ie, it can't be done. I don't know
about CLM. I know Faust can't as well, but Yann says he has it in his
sights.

Of all of those Lua-AV looks the closest to what I see in my head. I
just wish I could understand why I can't seem to communicate that all of
these options miss the mark, in my opinion. I just don't get them.
There's still too large of a learning curve that has nothing to do with
math or DSP. Maybe Pd would be an option if it were possible for Pd to
compile its patches out as standalone programs, which I understand can
be done on OSX, but not on any other platform. But even then, is Pd
atomic enough that I can graphically build something like a filter from
the most basic of elements like adders, multipliers, and delays and have
it savable as a new Ugen or whatever Pd calls them?

Unfortunately, my 64-bit system keeps me from trying the vast majority
of these options out (that's another complaint I have, but that's
another thread, and one we've already done I might add). I'm going to be
switching to 32-bit soon, but first, I need to get some other work done.
It'll probably happen sometime this week.

How about I pose it this way: what tool will allow me to code any JACK
client I want, with a custom GUI, with complete abstraction, by way of
built-in methods that allow me to set options and define certain
functions (like in that Processing tutorial video), allow the creation
of DSP graphs (which support variable numbers of frames per node from
the get-go, for easy oversampling support) with pre-defined as well as
custom nodes created right there in the same editor, and then allow
one-touch compilation and running, and then make it easy to package up
the code for distribution to anyone who wants it?

If all of that doesn't exist in one place, that's what I would like to
make. It'll be big, and it'll take a while, but it will be worth it.
Bonus points if the entire thing stays C++.

Maybe, finally, somewhere in that ranting, what I envision in my head is
finally coming out.

-- Darren Landrum