[LAD] Something like Processing for audio

Emanuel Rumpf xbran at web.de
Mon Sep 29 16:22:07 UTC 2008

2008/9/29 nescivi <nescivi at gmail.com>:
> If the computer (or maybe rather computation) becomes your instrument of
> choice to make music, you have to understand how it works.
> That takes learning too.

The question here is: what to learn?
I would not expect a musican to learn programming
in order to record audio nor a synth-sound developer
to learn dsp coding technics.

There are different layers of complexity and approaches
and maybe Darren is right, that
the complexity is not enough "hidden",
I mean in the background of the task to accomplish,
in linux, so that "easier" tasks can soon
become confusing, or flood the banks,
by introducing different technics and requiring
in-depth knowledge.

For example:
If I wanted to write a
synth plugin, I would not expect in
the first place, to worry about things
as realtime privilegs, threads, realtime memory allocation,
server-client handling & communication,
double-buffering, image-rendering etc...

Unless I wanted to do something completely new,
I would hope, to have predefined known working
solutions for most of these requirements.
To have them simplified as much as possible by
a host application, because
otherwise everyone would
have to think about it again and again...
instead, I'd prefere to concentrate on
the actual task.

Maybe LV2 etc. have not gone far enough, in this sence.

My 2 €-Cent,
Emanuel