[LAD] Guide to Linux Sound APIs

Lennart Poettering mzynq at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 30 16:00:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, 30.09.08 11:28, Gene Heskett (gene.heskett at verizon.net) wrote:

> >> I believe (no docs to confirm or deny this) it also is hard coded to pick
> >> the first device it finds as the default output device.  Since I relegated
> >> the mobo's el simple chipset for use by skype et all, then installed an
> >> Audigy2 for the real utility audio.  But PA refuses to use the Audigy2.
> >> So it gets nuked.  And then sound Just Works(TM).
> >
> >You can move any active stream on-the-fly to a different device. Just
> >right-click on it in pavucontrol. PA will then remember for later.
> >
> >Also, you can easily make a different device default via paucontrol, too.
>
> What is pavucontrol?  It was never, ever, part of the kde menu's on this F8,
> KDE-3.5.9 equipt x86 box.  The tool may well work as advertised, but first it
> has to be found before it can be used.

It is available in the GNOME menus AFAIR. I do not maintain the Fedora
KDE packages and I have no idea how well or bad PA is integrated in KDE.

> >> I'd complain, but there seems to be no path to the actual developers other
> >> than Bugzilla, and my Bugzilla entries have been "won't fix"ed.  If there
> >> is no path from the user who finds his system crippled, leaving him no
> >> choice but to nuke as much as he can in order to get any sound.  That of
> >> course is not conducive to actually getting it fixed.
> >
> >rhbz? Ids?
> >
> >If it's not rhbz or PA bts I won't get notice of it.
>
> That is part of the problem, if this is a feedback path, this is the first
> mention of it that I have noticed. Actual URL's please, my acronym translator
> needs a new dictionary. :)

rhbz = Red Hat Bugzilla (i.e. where you are supposed to report a bug
if you found one in Fedora, http://bugzilla.redhat.com)

pa bts = PulseAudio Bug Tracker (i.e. where you are suppoed to report
a bug if you found one in PulseAudio, http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Community#PatchesBugsTranslations)

Lennart