[LAD] audio recording through pipe using mplayer and sox sometimes has incorrect speed

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Apr 9 18:34:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Justin Smith <noisesmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Arnold Obdeijn <arnold.obdeijn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>> On that note, is there a JACK command-line utility that is as easy to
>> use as "|"?
>>
>> That would be cool, if a, b, and c were JACK-enabled applications:
>>
>> $ jack-pipe a : b : c
>>

>> So much faster than opening up qjackctl and making connections
>> manually.  Okay, clearly this doesn't handle multichannel very well
>> however.

  [ ... ]

> Off the top of my head, something could be put together with a shell
> script using the jack_connect program. If you are OK with a single
> purpose script that runs and connects two specific known programs,
> this will be easy, making it work with arbitrary programs provided as
> arguments is better done with something like lash, or patch-bay
> persistence.

to be more specific:

----------------------
#!/bin/sh

jackd ... jack arguments here ... &
sleep 2
clientNumberOne &
sleep 2
client NumberThree &
sleep 2

jack_connect system:playback_1 clientNumberOne:in_1
jack_connect system:playback_2 clientNumberOne:in_1
jack_connect system:playback_1 clientNumberTwo:in_1
jack_connect system:playback_2 clientNumberTwo:in_2

signal handling to shut down jackd and the two clients is left as an
exercise for the interested.

--p