[LAD] [ot] Electrical Plugs in Italy

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Apr 12 22:35:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 03:09:43PM -0700, Steven Yi wrote:

> Sort of off topic but I was having a hard time figuring this out: will
> electrical plugs that work other parts of Europe work in Italy as
> well?  I am thinking the two circular prongs adapter.  I have some
> adapters for when I was in Poland and Germany, but looking online it
> seemed like the adapter is slightly different in Italy but wasn't
> quite sure if the adapter I have will fit.

Italian power plugs are Italian and hence different from
those anywhere else in the world. They have three round
pins in a line, the middle one being the ground. There are
two sizes, with the higher power ones having larger pins
and a slightly larger spacing between them. The small
German or French plugs without a ground connection (i.e.
the typical wall wart) will fit in an Italian socket.

At the CdM we'll try to have the more common German ones
for all 'public' power blocks. If you want to use your PC
in a hotel room you may have a problem. Some hotels will
provide the adaptor if you ask for it at the reception.
It's also on sale at airport shops etc.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.