[LAD] Building 'rhumba box', need square inches of ports data.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 16 00:20:00 UTC 2009

Greetings;

I'm building a rhumba box not exactly like anything I've been able to google
up on the net.  But I saw one a week ago that I thought worked very well as an
acoustic standup bass substitute when it was close miked.

My boxes panels are 5.2mm birch plywood, with double rabbeted cherry glue
strips, and except for the sound port holes in the front panel, will be air
sealed for best resonance.  Total capacity then is 3.535 cu feet.

My question is, given that the port holes will be a larger one in the dead
center of the front panel, and two smaller ones flanking it, splitting the
space so the smaller ones will be centered on 1/2 the distance from the center
point of the center hole, sort of a | o 0 o | where the vertical lines are the
ends of the box by its longest measure.

Is there a formula for lowest frequency vs cubic feet that is commonly used to
determine the sizes of these 'sound' portholes?

Thanks all.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)