[LAD] alsa card order

Lennart Poettering mzynq at 0pointer.de
Tue Apr 28 21:59:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 28.04.09 23:36, Fons Adriaensen (fons at kokkinizita.net) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm Running F10 and I have these lines in /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> options snd cards_limit=4
> alias snd-card-0 snd_intel8x0
> alias snd-card-1 snd_mpu401
> alias snd-card-2 snd_ice1712
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-card-1 index=1
> options snd-card-2 index=2
>
> but the order of the devices is always the
> inverse: ice1712, mpu401, intel8x0

Since F10 ALSA card indexes are not stable anymore to allow flexible
hotplugging setups.

You don't need stable indexes. Simply use the card names instead. You
can find them in /proc/asound/cards. i.e. use "front:AudioPCI" instead
of "front:6" as device strings. That way you don''t need to configure
anything and always have stable device strings.

Lennart