[LAD] Sending huge SysEx files via ALSA

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Sun Aug 2 09:27:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

> When you want to send SysEx messages, you should split them into small
> chunks that are scheduled at proper times so that the MIDI bandwidth
> is not exceeded.  (aplaymidi does something like this if you give it
> a .mid file with huge SysExes.)
>
> However, for this it would be easier to use the RawMIDI API, or a tool
> like amidi.

I wanted to avoid using the rawmidi API, as it requires exclusive access to a
MIDI port, so you couldn't send SysEx files to (or receive from) a device while
it still is connected to another app.

I will continue to use RtMidi ATM to get some code written. If I'm pleased
with the code, I will decide how to cope with bigger SysEx events.

Thanks a bunch for all the useful replies!

--
Best regards,

ce