[LAD] students and copyright

Arnout Engelen lad at bzzt.net
Sun Aug 2 11:56:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 01:31:41PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> The institute might have a copyright for the software's name and the logos,
> but each coder has to copyleft his changes on GPL code.
>
> No institute can take on a copyright, while the institute is using GPL
> licensed code.

I'm not quite sure whether I understand you correctly, but it seems you're
not entirely right here.

If you don't have the copyright to a piece of code you wrote, for example
because you wrote it for your employer, then this means you are *not allowed*
to distribute this code. Not under the GPL, and not under whatever other
license either.

To distribute the code, you must either get the copyright on the work back,
or get permission from the actual copyright holder (employer, institution) to
do so.

Arnout